Institutional


As the optimism of the 1950’s and early 1960’s stimulated development and expansion, Savannah needed space for growth and pushed its city boundaries further to the south. The new philosophy of Modernist design in the architectural world enabled by the development of new materials and construction techniques found a home in institutional buildings. Such structures included the Chatham County Health Center completed in 1962 with its Saarinen-like auditorium resembling the then under construction Dulles Airport Terminal in Chantilly, Virginia, and the magnificent Benedictine Military School completed in 1964, both designed by Juan Carlos Bertotto. In the soon to be expanding Islands area, St. Lukes Church in Thunderbolt erected in 1962 is an outstanding example of Modernist design that reflects the optimism of society and the mid-century modern architects.

© Copyright Mid Century Modern Savannah